zondag 19 juni 2011

Newsflash becomes *flash

More than half a year I wrote a Newsflash nearly every office day.  Scientific news en combinations of studies as basis for a daily serving of breastfeeding science. But I’ve noticed that I’ve kind of had it with science: bit by bit instead of scientific news my writings conversed into little articles with an opinion. What is my problem with science? Don’t I want to practice evidence based? To have evidence based breastfeeding support and advice? Well, yes, I guess, but above all I want breastfeeding support to be given by engaged and compassionate health care persons who use their own logical thinking skills and who care for the well-being of their clients. And even more I do not want to keep on defending and proving breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is. Period. Just let the alternatives and interventions prove themselves; just prove to me that the alternatives and interventions are safe, effective and necessary. To introduce and illustrate the new course of the Flashes two short entries from my blog Lactavision.
‘’Breastfeeding - an inborn ability for nearly every woman, but a skill to be learned. Our modern society is very skilled in blocking natural abilities and preventing them from becoming skills. Instinct, reflexes, trust in the own body - all disposed of or put away in a little corner called ''alternative-strange-possibly dangerous''. Breastfeeding: an inborn ability – a cultuarally disgarded skill.
‘’ OK, I admit: I’m a huge Twilight fan. Twilight could be described as a romantic-horror genre. Horror, because it is all about vampires, werewolves, but above that, it is about love, unconditional love. The lover that makes you go through fire, makes you sacrifice yourself for the other’s well-being. And about compassion, love for your fellow-humans. In these books and the movies this compassion is personified by a vampire (Dr Carlisle Cullen), who trained himself to be able to stand the smell of blood in order to be able to help people as a physician. He puts himself above his intrinsic impulses and instinct to be good and do good. This is the kind of compassion I would so love to see in more health care providers: the care for your patients/clients without the prevalence of your own agenda. The bloodlust some HCP’s may have to overcome could be own previous experiences, learned concepts or whispered-in concepts from third parties with even more pushing agenda’s.’’
Many health care people are around who, in my not very humble opinion, could use some of the actor Peter Facinelli’s skills to switch from the egotripping, brawling prat dr. Fitch Cooper (Nurse Jackie) into the empathic, compassionate dr Carlisle Cullen (Twilight Saga).

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten